Traveling to the Past - Going Home


After Patrick passed I decided to travel up to Susanville to see my mom. For various reasons I put it off for months - probably the primary reason had to do with all the memories associated with Susanville.  I grew up there, moving from the Bay Area when I was about 3 years old. So many memories, my grandparents lived about a mile from my home growing up and I spent many an afternoon walking to their house and spending time with my grandmother, she always had time for all of us. I met Patrick in Susanville - love at first sight. I was about 15 (almost the same age as my grandson, Anthony), Patrick was 18. Our first apartment was in Susanville.

I mentioned my interest in travelling to Susanville to my grandsons back in November and immediately Anthony said - I'll go with you. So, my travelling companion and I headed out this past weekend for my hometown. Anthony was good company and I think he made the trip so much easier for me. I felt very nostalgic throughout the trip and he seemed to enjoy the stories of his grandfather and I in our early years.

Anthony is incredibly musical - he brought his guitar and played various riffs of different songs, I loved it and his grandfather would've loved it. 

There is that saying "you can't go back." - I think it's true to some degree, the town has changed, I've changed and the time is different. People I loved so much are gone; my husband, my father and my grandparents. But there is comfort that some things remain, I saw my mom and brother, the house I grew up in, my grandparents home and my first apartment with Patrick. 
LHS

It's a bit of a reminder that life is temporary. I wish I always had recognized how great things were when I was young, in that moment, but that's a life lesson you learn after a bit of living. I had quite a lot of freedom as a child, we were allowed to walk around the town with very little concern for safety, in a time with no cell phones. Everyone knew everyone in the town, so you really couldn't get away with much, but I really wasn't trying to.

I visited the graves of my father, grandparents and gt. grandmother - my family goes back to the 1940s in Susanville. I showed Anthony the schools I attended; Lassen High School and Diamond View Middle School. Anthony thought Lassen High School was cool and he is ready to bring his band to LHS and perform on the quad - I'm sure the teenage girls would love him:). 

Ah, to live it all again... 

The backroom at Margie's Book Nook

Anthony says this picture will be worth a million bucks one day!

Great Grandmother, Erma Sanford Johnson

Father, Robert Neil Johnson

Grandparents, Cy and Virginia (Bullard) Johnson


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Widow's Club

The Lift

Things I Miss...